One of my favorite homemade gifts to share is my recipe for Cranberry Christmas Cake. One recipe can easily make two 8-inch square pans.
It starts with a 12 oz bag of ruby jewels – cranberries. I stock up on fresh cranberries during the fall and winter seasons because they freeze well. Tip: If you freeze them, don’t wash them first, or they will get soggy. Keep the bag intact, tuck it inside a ziplock bag, and throw it into the freezer. Add a handful of cranberries to your muffin recipes and throw a palm full into your oatmeal while it cooks on the stove.
Cranberry Christmas Cake
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Butter, softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 12 oz Fresh Cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With a mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar until slightly thickened and light in color. The mixture should almost double in size. The eggs work as your leavening agent in this recipe so DO NOT skip this step. This mixture should form a ribbon when you lift the beaters out of the bowl.
- Add the butter and vanilla; mix two more minutes. Stir in the flour until just combined. Add the cranberries and stir to mix throughout.
- Spread in a buttered 9x13 pan (or two 8-inch pans if you want to share).
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until very lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before lightly sifting powdered sugar on top.